This cake is so easy, minimal ingredients and tastes so delicious you wouldn’t know it’s vegan.
For the cake
250g self raising flour
200g caster sugar
75ml vegetable oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
For the filling
75 grams vegan butter (vitalite is my go to)
50 grams of vegetable shortening (I used trex)
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 jar strawberry or raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 180c and grease two 8 inch cake tins.
- Now the easy part, literally combine all the cake ingredients together and mix. Make sure not to over beat it and just combine all the ingredients until the batter is smooth.
- Divide between the two cake tins and place into the oven to bake for around 25-30 minutes, checking the centre with a skewer to make sure the cakes are cooked through.
- While your cakes are cooling you can move onto the buttercream, beat the shortening and the butter together until smooth and fluffy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar into the mix, beating gently at every slight addition to avoid the icing sugar cloud.
- Once the cakes have cooled to the touch, apply a generous layer of jam to one side, and then top with the buttercream before sandwiching the second cake on top.
Let me know if you try this recipe, I’d love for you to share it on instagram and tag me @littlepieceofvegan if you do!