There aren’t many animal products I really miss from my omnivore days, being nearly 5 years into veganism I’ve tried almost every replacement out there. But one thing from my childhood that I’ve never been able to replicate is the classic taste of dippy egg with soldiers, until now.
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp corn flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of kala namak (Indian black salt)
- Whisk in a small microwave safe container (I use a ramekin) the water and corn flour together until there are so lumps.
- Add into the mix the turmeric, oil and nutritional yeast, and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and check the consistency, if it is too runny then you can continue to microwave in 10 second bursts, checking the consistency each time. It should come together and be slightly gelatinous.
- Once you have your desired consistency, add the pinch of kala namak, this is the magic ingredient that gives it that eggy taste.
I always usually make this in the microwave for ease and also less washing up, but if you were making it in a larger quantity you can bring all the ingredients together in a saucepan on a low heat until all combined and your desired consistency.
Serve with a crack of black pepper and buttery toast soldiers for the ultimate weekend brekkie treat.
I’d love to know if you recreate this recipe and how you enjoyed it! make sure to tag me on instagram if you do! 🙂